Friday, June 1, 2012

rise and shine

Untitled Untitled 
So many of you have emailed and asked about thrift tips and how to choose the clothes....talking about this immediately makes me want to go thrifting....focus.

I'm wearing:  top (banana republic outlet); skirt/clutch (thrift); shoes (payless this season!)

So here are my rules with a few loopholes-- because sometimes a girl needs an out.

1. It's all in the fit:  knowing your body type and what shapes work for you is key. For example, I know that I'm considered a "neat hourglass," and all clothes should accentuate my waistline. Do I do this every day? Absolutely not. 

2. Quality Control
  • Seams should lie flat and not pull or wrinkle.
  • Check your hemlines--flat and even.
  • Don't be fooled when original tags are still attached.
  • Side seams should hang straight.
  • How faded is the fabric?
  • Search seam and necklines for holes.
3. Experimentation:  Do your research in magazines, blogs, and online fashion sites then hit the stores with inspiration and somewhat of a game plan. Don't be afraid to shake up your usual style with things you wouldn't otherwise try. If you pay $2, and it doesn't work--not nearly as guilt ridden as spending $20 or more on an item.

4. What to Wear to thrift:  Some places don't have changing rooms so I'm always prepared for that.
  • Thin cami or tank to try clothes on over.
  • Strapless bra
  • Loose fitting skirt for trying on pants/shorts
  • Comfortable shoes that slip on and off easy. (I wear heels every once in a while but they don't really bother me to wear for extended periods of time.)
Hope this helps and happy hunting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment